I woke up with this great question floating around in my head the other morning. “What if you could run your business the way you run your love?” The more I gave it thought, the more serious I realized were the consequences. It is actually a very serious question. It started me on the path of playing a game I love to play, the “What if” game. Will you play with me?
I began to think what if I could run my business the way I run my Love? What does that actually mean? What do I love I thought? I love vacations in the Caribbean. When it is the morning that we’re supposed to catch a plane for vacation it doesn’t matter if it is 3am, I barely need the alarm clock and fly out of bed with a great big smile on my face and find myself with tons of energy, don’t you?
I love my husband and my children with all my heart. I would without a doubt run into a burning building for them! There is nothing I wouldn’t do for my family. What if there was nothing I wouldn’t do for my business too? What would happen?
A great example of approaching work with deep love is being a parent. I have always loved my children but there was work I didn’t relish. Like changing diapers when they were babies or waking up in the middle of the night to feed them. The difference was I loved them with all my heart and never once complained about either of these tasks. I did what I had to do and did this with joy and love in my heart.
What if we could bring this kind of true love and devotion into our daily life? Our Studying if we are students? Our business if we are working? Our homes if we are homemakers?
What if we knew the stakes were very high? What if we knew that how we approached our day affected not only the very people we love but even people we don’t even know?
For Students, these questions are for you:
- What if you found out that if you worked very hard in school you would without a doubt become the chairman of the Federal Reserve one day managing the financial well being of our country? Would you care more about studying or slack off on your math homework?
- What if you had a crystal ball which revealed that if you approached your schoolwork with confidence and passion you were destined to become the President of the United States? How hard would you study now?
- What if that crystal ball told you that if you invested your time properly in school you were destined to discover the cure for cancer? Would you go on Facebook for 2 hours or study harder for that bio test tomorrow?
For Everyone else, here are “What if” questions for you:
- If you could approach your day like you were boarding a plane to Bermuda, what would that feel like? How much could you accomplish that day?
- Would your life soar if you went about your day with a spring in your step and a smile on your face? Do you think that perhaps the people who do are the ones who receive the promotions, raises and awards?
- What if you are the parent, grandparent, aunt or uncle of a future president of the United States? Would you feel compelled now to do everything you could to support them?
- How would you manage your affairs if your success meant that you were helping support the future noble prize winner who finds the cure for cancer?
I believe like many people that we are all connected. Families are not only connected but we are all connected. Whether or not we all take our mission here seriously and devote our entire being into doing our very best or not, I believe that we ultimately affect each other and our future. When we don’t give our best effort potentially we all pay the price. How would we feel if we found out one day that because we didn’t give 100 percent effort a child who was destined to find a cure for cancer didn’t? Wouldn’t that be a crying shame?
Now I will take this question personally. What if there were mornings I just flat out tired where I didn’t have any energy. On those mornings I chose not to go on a run with my team, answer a few less emails, chose not to work on any newsletters or communications? What if because of digressions like these there was one charity that didn’t receive funds we could have raised for them? What if this charity was dedicated to saving lives? What if the funds they received from Team Running on Love saved one more life? How much is that extra effort worth? Obviously, it is worth the world!
What if I choose to devote all my heart and all my soul to grow Running on Love and gave it everything I had? How many lives could we touch? How many people could we inspire? How many great and noble causes could we help that might otherwise not receive any? If I choose to run my business the way I run my love whose life will be changed for the better? There is at least life that will. Mine!
Will you join me?